Saturday, October 24, 2009

Pumpkin Oatmeal

I was never too fond of oatmeal until I recently tried it and could not believe what I had been missing all these years. It is a very satisfying breakfast and is very healthy. I just got the best deal....a 44 oz. can of oatmeal for $1.50 (at Jewel).
In the spring, when rhubarb was in season, I stocked up on it and made a delicious rhubarb compote that I froze. I added a couple spoonfuls to my oatmeal - perfect combination! Now that my rhubarb has run out, I tried a new and possibly even tastier mix...pumpkin oatmeal. I add a large spoonful of pumpkin (from a can) along with some pumpkin pie spice and brown sugar. Then I top it off with a couple spoonfuls of ...yogurt (have to get the yogurt in somehow). It is a great way to start the day.

Pumpkin Oatmeal

1/2 C Oatmeal
1/2 C Water

Microwave the above for 2 minutes. Then add:

2 T Pumpkin Puree
1/2 t Pumpkin Pie Spice
Brown sugar to taste (I use about 2 t)

And microwave for 1 more minute. Add a couple spoonfuls of plain yogurt (optional) and enjoy.

1 comment: